Chikungunya PCR test is a test conducted to check whether a patient has been infected by the Chikungunya virus or not. This disease is spread by mosquitoes. It sometimes tends to be severe and can kill a person.
What is Chikungunya PCR?
Chikungunya PCR is Chikungunya Polymerase Chain Reaction test in which molecular biology is used to make many copies of a specific type of DNA. The disease of Chikungunya is caused by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. This disease can be transmitted by a mosquito to a human host.
Why is Chikungunya PCR suggested?
Chikungunya PCR is suggested if a person has been recently bitten by a mosquito, and it’s common symptoms are
- High fever and fatigue
- Severe joint, and muscle pain
- Skin rashes, and excessive itching
- Brown rings around eyes
How is Chikungunya PCR performed?
Chikungunya PCR is a simple test that only involves
- Dilute serum or plasma from the cell is contacted with the real-time amplification of viral genomic RNA.
What parameters are measured in Chikungunya PCR?
These parameters in Chikungunya PCR test are
- The level of the Chikungunya virus is measured, and also, the antibodies to react to the virus are counted.
Preparation before performing Chikungunya PCR
No special preparation is needed before performing the test of Chikungunya PCR, however sometimes –
- The doctor may recommend not to eat anything solid and suggest to consume glucose or juice.
Discuss with the doctor about your medications and health.
Post-care after Chikungunya PCR
After the Chikungunya PCR test, the patients with a positive result must
- Prevent his body from mosquitoes bites and keep a mosquito repellent handy.
- Eat fruits with citric acid like orange, kiwi,
- Get rest and drink plenty of water
Sample types in Chikungunya PCR
The only sample required for Chikungunya PCR test is a blood sample or plasma sample from the cell.
Side effects/risks of Chikungunya PCR
There are no major side effects of Chikungunya PCR test, but some problems may occur like
- Taking a blood sample or plasma may be painful.