A wrist joint is a complex joint that is susceptible to injuries. A CECT of a wrist joint helps to evaluate and detect any abnormalities.
What is CECT of a Wrist Joint?
A CECT of a Wrist Joint is a contrast-enhanced CT of a wrist joint and is a helpful diagnostic tool to detect a wide range of articular disorders.
- A CECT of a Wrist Joint is useful to differentiate between ligament tears and asymptomatic degenerative lesions.
- Helpful in detecting any cartilage and bone issues that are not seen in regular CT scans and other imaging techniques.
- Useful in unexplained post-traumatic pain.
How is CECT of a Wrist Joint performed?
CECT of a Wrist Joint helps to visualize ligament tears. The following steps are involved:
- The dorsal aspect of the wrist is prepared.
- No local anesthetic is used and a 24-gauge needle is used to create a puncture.
- 5 ml of iodinated contrast medium is injected.
- The patient is immediately taken for a CT scan before the medium gets diluted.
- The patient is scanned in the ‘superman position’ to keep the wrists in the middle of the gantry.
Side effects/risks of CECT of a Wrist Joint
While the risk associated with the CECT of a Wrist Joint is minimal, there could be a few risks as follows:
- Allergy to the dye.
- Wrong puncture in the wrist area.
- Excessive bleeding.
- Radiation exposure.
- Sore joint.
Preparation before performing CECT of a Wrist Joint
The following preparative measures must be taken:
- The dorsal surface of the wrist is sterilized.
- A puncture is made using a 24-gauge needle facilitated by the articular recesses.
- The contrast medium is then injected and a quick scan is performed.
Post-care after CECT of a Wrist Joint
The CECT of a Wrist Joint procedure takes a couple of minutes to perform. The will be asked to drink lots of fluids to ensure that the dye is flushed out after the CECT of a Wrist Joint procedure.
Find the best orthopedicians for CECT of a Wrist Joint and its treatment here on mfine.
Download the mfine app and consult with the best orthopedicians online.