CDX2 is a homeobox domain which contains transcription factor which is important in differentiation of intestine.
What is CDX2?
Cdx2 is a highly sensitive and a specific marker of adenocarcinomas of the intestine. It also helps in identifying carcinomas related to the intestine. When CDX2 is expressed in the bloodstream, a condition called colorectal adenocarcinoma is confirmed.
Why is CDX2 suggested?
CDX2 test is suggested when the following symptoms are experienced:
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Blood in stool.
- Change in bowel movements.
- Excessive or passive amounts of gas.
How is CDX2 performed?
The steps to perform the CDX2 test are mentioned below:
- The patient is required to swallow a capsule which is attached to a thing and long polyethene tube. (1)
- After the capsule has reached the small intestine, mild suction is applied to pull the tissue sample into the capsule.
- Then the capsule is the slowly retracted out of the stomach via the oesophagus.
What are the parameters measured in CDX2?
The parameters measured with the CDX2 test are to see if the symptoms experienced by the patient are due to colorectal adenocarcinoma depending upon the CDX2 levels in the bloodstream.
Preparation before performing CDX2
Preparation required before performing CDX2 are:
- Discuss your medical history with the doctor.
- Do as instructed by the doctor.
- Do not eat or drink anything before 4 hours of the test.
- Also mention if you take certain drugs like aspirin, etc.
Post-care after CDX2 are:
- Take proper rest.
- Take the medications as prescribed by the doctor.
Sample types in CDX2
The sample types in CDX2 are:
Side effects of CDX2
The side effects of CDX2 test are: