Calcitonin test measures the amount of calcitonin present in the blood. It is a step taken to check the calcitonin amount to prevent the diseases in the thyroid.
What is Calcitonin?
Calcitonin is a hormone secreted by the thyroid gland. It is the hormone responsible or metabolic activities. A high amount of calcitonin in the blood leads to medullary cancer of the thyroid . Calcitonin test helps to diagnose the calcitonin level in the blood. It is a very rare form of cancer and is more common in women than in men.
Why is Calcitonin Test Suggested?
A doctor suggests this test because of the following reasons:
- To diagnose medullary cancer.
- If the family of the person is suffering from medullary cancer.
- If a person suffers difficulty in breathing and swallowing. 
How is Calcitonin Test Performed?
Calcitonin test is easy to perform.
- The laboratory assistant takes a blood sample from the arm vein. 
- A bandage covers the puncture site to prevent infection.
- The lab assistant tests the sample for checking the level of the calcitonin.
A value of less than 10 pg/mL is a normal value.
What are the Parameters Measured in Calcitonin?
The parameter under test is calcitonin level in the blood.
Preparation before Performing Calcitonin Test
Prior preparation are necessary to ensure superior results in test.
- Fasting for overnight is required. 
Post-Care after the Calcitonin Test
After-care measures are necessary to follow.
- Follow the doctor’s advice carefully.
Sample Types in Calcitonin Test
Sample types required in calcitonin test are:
Side effects/ Risks of Calcitonin Test
The side effects and risks associated with the calcitonin test do not pose any serious threats.
- The bleeding may be excessive.
- Blood may accumulate under the skin.
- Infection risks.