Anti-GBM Antibody test is to detect the presence of anti Glomerular Basement Membrane antibodies in the bloodstream.
What is Anti-GBM Antibody?
Anti-GBM Antibody test is a lab test that detects the presence of Glomerular Basement Membrane antibodies. The presence of these antibodies is related to the distress of kidney and lungs.
Why is Anti-GBM Antibody suggested?
The Anti-GBM Antibody test is suggested under the following conditions:-
- When there is the presence of anemia caused by excessive bleeding
- Difficulty in breathing and chest pain.
- Unexplained generic chills and illness with coughing up of blood.
- Presence of sudden kidney problems or weight loss.
Anti-GBM Antibody is a rare autoimmune ailment.
How is Anti-GBM Antibody performed?
Anti-GBM Antibody test is performed as follows:
- A blood sample is drawn from the patient.
- The blood sample is tested for detectable levels of anticardiolipin antibodies.
What are the parameters measured in Anti-GBM Antibody?
Anti-GBM Antibody test measures the presence of anti-thyroperoxidase antibodies in the given test sample.
- Negative results mean that no Glomerular Basement Membrane antibodies were found in the patient’s bloodstream.
- A positive result means that the antibodies are present in the bloodstream and may cause autoimmune conditions.
Preparation before performing Anti-GBM Antibody
The following points need to be taken into consideration before the Anti-GBM Antibody test:-
- The patient may be asked to avoid eating or drinking for up to a few hours before the test is administered.
- The patient must discuss their medical history with the doctor, like the use of prescription drugs or other diagnosed conditions.
Post-care after Anti-GBM Antibody
Anti-GBM Antibody test is a simple procedure. No special care is required post the sample for testing has been given.
A bandage may be required in case blood is drawn.
Sample types in Anti-GBM Antibody
Anti-GBM Antibody test is done only by the use of blood samples of patients.
Side effects/risks of Anti-GBM Antibody
Anti-GBM Antibody is a simple lab test hence, there are no side effects or risks of undergoing the test.