Everything to Understand About Shin Splints
It is an inflammation of muscles, tendons, and bone tissues around the tibia.
Around 35% of people suffer Shin Splints. 
- Also known as medial tibial stress syndrome
- Associated with running
- Short-term: resolves within a few days or weeks
- Related to exercise
Shin Splints can be caused by stress fractures, tendinitis, and chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Surgery may be advised in case of a worse scenario.
- Pain along the border of the tibia
- Pain during and after exercise
- Sharp or Razor like pain
- Dull or throbbing pain
- Several weeks of rest after activity
- Activities having a lower impact like swimming can be substituted during recovery
- An elastic compression bandage may prevent swelling
- Use of ice packs 20-30 minutes each 2 to 4 hours
- Stretching of lower leg muscle may make you feel better
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines may help in swelling
- Custom-made shoe inserts can help to stabilize foot and ankle
In case self-care treatments do not give desired results, the doctor may advise surgery if the situation has worsened.
Specialist: Consult a doctor if the symptoms are evident and the condition worsens. At mfine, we provide accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plans for all health concerns under a team of qualified doctors."