All you need to know about a broken collarbone and how to manage it
A clavicle fracture is generally a break in the collarbone, which is the main bone in the shoulder. Most of the clavicle fractures occur in the middle portion of the shaft of the bone. It is a very painful condition and makes it hard to move the arm.
Clavicle fracture represents 2.6 to 4 % of all fractures. 70% males are affected by this condition.
- Requires medical diagnosis
- Diagnostic tests are required
- Treatable by a medical professional
- More prevalent in men
Fracture of the clavicle is caused mostly by a blow to the shoulder in the form of a fall that impacts the shoulder or a stretched arm. In infants, it can also occur during passage through the birth canal.
Clavicle fractures are very common and generally occur in people of all ages. Children between 10 to 19 years of age are at the highest risk of developing this condition.
The symptoms of clavicle fracture include:
- Bruising, swelling or tenderness around the collarbone
- Pain that increases with shoulder movement
- A bulge on/near the shoulder
- Grinding sensation while raising the arm
- Deformity of the collarbone
These home remedies can help alleviate the pain associated with clavicle fracture and help during recuperation:
- Arm support/sling
- Physical therapy
- Stay out of sports activities
- Do not raise any heavyweights beyond 2 kg.
- Get frequent follow-up with your doctor
The treatment options for clavicle fracture include:
- Surgery via open reduction and internal fixation
- Pain management
- A certified physical therapist and orthopedist can help in the treatment of clavicle fracture.
- At mfine, we connect you to a team of specialists and help you get your health back on track.
1st Consultation Free
Top Doctors in Orthopedician for Fracture Of Clavicle
Dr. K G Shankarnarayana
MBBS, D Ortho., Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
MBBS, D Ortho., Consultant Orthopaedic SurgeonOrthopedician
29 years exp
Dr. Manish Samson
D.Ortho, MS (Ortho), MCh Ortho (UK)
D.Ortho, MS (Ortho), MCh Ortho (UK)Orthopedician
26+ years exp
Dr. Satish Reddy G
M.S Ortho, M.Ch Ortho (U.K)
M.S Ortho, M.Ch Ortho (U.K)Orthopedician
20+ years exp
Dr. Praveen M
MBBS, Diploma in Orthopaedics, MS - Orthopaedics
MBBS, Diploma in Orthopaedics, MS - OrthopaedicsOrthopedician
18+ years exp
Dr. Rajasekkhar Pappuu
DNB (Orthopaedics), MBBS
DNB (Orthopaedics), MBBSOrthopedician
18+ years exp
Dr. Vinay Kumar MS
MS - Orthopaedics
MS - OrthopaedicsOrthopedician
17+ years exp
Other Medical Conditions