Bilateral Knee Joint Pain: The Complete Guide
Chronic pain in front of the knee that worsens while stretching, climbing stairs, walking on an inclined surface, etc.
About 100 Million Americans suffer from bilateral knee joint pain 
- Affects females more than males
- It is a chronic problem as the pain is continuous
- Bilateral knee joint pain cannot be treated by self. Expert medical attention is required.
- Lab tests are required to determine the condition of the patient
Knee pain may be the result of an injury such as ruptured ligament or torn cartilage. Medical conditions including arthritis, gout, and infection can also cause knee pain. It is one of the most common types of osteoarthritis (OA).
Some people suffer OA in just one knee, which is unilateral OA. Bilateral knee arthritis occurs when both knees are affected with OA. It is a painful degenerative condition that reduces mobility, causes immense pain in the knees that eventually spread all over the leg making it very difficult to stand for a longer period of time or walk long distances easily.
Ages affected - between 20 and 30 - rare; between 30 and 40 - often; 40 and above - most often
Bilateral knee joint pain cannot be treated by self.
People may experience
1) Flare-up knee
2) Swelling in the surrounding area.
3) Overall weakness or instability
4) Grinding or snapping noises as you move
5) Buckling of knee
1. Exercise: helps improve overall cardiovascular health. Strengthens muscles around knees. Simple exercises include walking, bike riding, and swimming.
2. Use braces for added support
3. Apply ice during pain flare-ups
4. Rest your knees after long periods of activities.
1. Physical therapy
4. Corticosteroid shots are used in case of severe inflammation. It helps in reducing pain.
5. Weight loss may be helpful in bilateral knee OA as weight is distributed between both knees.
6. Surgery: includes knee replacement. Cartilage grafting is also involved that involves moving cartilage from one part of the knee to another to patch up the damage.
Make sure to visit your doctor if you cannot bear weight on your knee. If you want fast treatment, visit us at mfine and live a healthy and fit life.