ACL sprain and complications
ACL injury is the tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament which is one of the major ligaments in the knee. ACL injuries usually occur due to sports which involve sudden movements like jumping or changing directions.
There are more than 1 million cases of ACL sprain per year in India.
- Imaging such as X-ray and MRI required
- Ultrasound required
- Requires medical diagnosis
- More common among women than men
ACL injury happens due to movements that involve sudden slowing down or changing of direction, pivoting with a foot firmly planted, stopping suddenly, landing from a jump incorrectly, and receiving a direct blow to the knee or collision.
- Might hear a popping sound when the patient gets hurt
- Popping sensation in the knees
- Severe pain and inability to walk
- Swelling after some hours of the injury
- Loss of range of motions
- Knee not able to hold the weight of the patient
- Ice your knee for every 2 hours for 20 minutes
- Rest as much as possible to let the ligament heal
- Lie down with the knee propped up on pillows
- Compression bandage might help in relieving pain
The doctor might prescribe over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs which can help in relieving the swelling and pain. The doctor may steroids into the knee in case of intense pain.
Specialists might recommend rehabilitation for better recovery of the knee.
VIsit mfine to consult the best doctors and take the right step towards your health.