Last modified on March 2021
With inputs from Dr.Sabha Faryal, General Physician & Emergency Medicine Specialist
– Typhoid infection is a disease caused by Salmonella Typhi bacteria. It spreads when the bacteria is deposited in food/water by an infected person/ typhoid carrier.
– While it is rare in industrialized nations, typhoid fever in children is more common in developing countries and regions. (South America, India, sub- Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia)
– While typhoid symptoms in kids are milder, children are still at higher risk of contracting the disease. Generally, symptoms of typhoid in children/ adults begin 1-3 weeks after exposure to the bacteria. Common symptoms include fever, rash, diarrhoea, weakness, and abdominal pain.
– One of the main effects of typhoid infection in Indian kids is the possibility of being a long-term carrier of the bacteria. These long-term typhoid carriers can be the source of new outbreaks for typhoid infections every year.
– Early detection can help treat typhoid infection in Indian kids effectively. Once the diagnostic tests for typhoid are performed, the pediatrician will recommend a suitable treatment of typhoid in children.