Last modified on December 2020
With inputs from Dr.Pravallika Devisetti, General Physician & Anesthesiologist
– Internal derangement of the knee is a group of disorders that affects the functioning of the knee joints, leading to several complications in movement and mobility of the body.
– The most common symptom of Internal Knee Derangement is knee pain and loss of flexibility in the knee joint caused by internal conditions such as ligament tear, meniscus tear or loose bone and cartilage.
– Physical trauma is the main cause of Internal Knee Derangement, Sports injury being the most common cause. Sudden jerks caused due to climbing stairs, running, lifting heavy objects and road accidents also cause internal derangement of knees.
– Internal derangement of the knee is diagnosed through physical examinations and scans such as X-Ray, MRI and CT scan.
– RICE – Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is the recommended course of treatment for knee joint injury.
– Post recovery, your orthopedician may also recommend physiotherapy and other exercises to rebuild strength in the knee joints.
Important parts of the knee:
– Ligaments: Ligaments are bands of tough elastic tissues around joints in the body. In the knee joint, there are 4 main ligaments – Anterior cruciate ligament(ACL), Posterior cruciate ligament(PCL), Medial collateral ligament(MCL) and Lateral collateral ligament(LCL). Ligaments help stabilize and strengthen the knee joint.
– Meniscus: Meniscus is a piece of cartilage that acts as a soft protective cushion between the thigh bone and shin bone. Each knee joint has two menisci.
– Kneecap: Medically known as the patella, the kneecap is the bone that covers the knee. It provides strength and allows mobility in the knees.
– Main joints: The Tibiofemoral or synovial joint and the Patellofemoral of plane joints are the two main joints in the knee.
The knee joint is one of the most important joints in the body. It is an incredibly strong joint that provides balance and strength. It is responsible for movement, flexibility, and stability of the lower half of the body. It allows the lower legs to move flexibly relative to the upper thighs. Movements such as walking, running, jogging, jumping, sitting, standing, and agile motion cannot take place without knee joints.
The knee joint is a hinge type of synovial joint consisting of three main bones – the femur, tibia, and patella or kneecap. It comprises two main joints – the tibiofemoral joint and the patellofemoral joint. Together all work in tandem to provide strength and movement to the body.
It is extremely important to maintain strong knees since a lot of our daily activities involve them. Internal derangement of the knee can happen due to several reasons. If you’re experiencing knee pain or any stiffness, you must visit an orthopedician.
You can consult top orthopedicians on Mfine to get treated for knee pain!