Last modified on January 2021
With inputs from Dr.Nikhileshwari Vanukuru, General Physician
– Asthenia is a condition that is associated with muscle or body weakness in the absence of any physical exertion or effort.
– Asthenia is caused due to several medical and lifestyle factors. Some asthenia causes in Indians include infections, thyroid disorders, anaemia, dehydration, diabetes, chronic disorders, heart diseases, drug-induced side effects, vitamin B12 deficiency, nerve/muscle-related disorders, mental illnesses, ageing, sedentary lifestyles and pregnancy.
– Symptoms of asthenia can be divided into isolated muscle weakness symptoms and total body symptoms. Some common symptoms include fever, muscle cramps, muscle twitching, tremors, joint pain, body aches, restless sleep, reduced muscle mobility and strength. If you think you may be showing these symptoms, our doctors on MFine are available anytime, anywhere to help diagnose your condition and recommend a treatment plan that works for you.
– The diagnosis of asthenia in India revolves around finding the underlying cause that is resulting in muscle or total body weakness. A few common diagnostic tests include blood tests, vitamin profile tests, liver function tests, thyroid tests, diabetes screening, urine tests and other imaging tests such as x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, ECGs and brain scans to detect organ abnormalities that may be causing asthenia.
– Asthenia treatments in India are carried out according to the underlying cause of muscle or body weakness. Some ways in which asthenia can be prevented include maintaining an active lifestyle, eating a diet rich in vitamins and energy-providing nutrients and getting adequate sleep.