Edema: Everything You Need To Know
Edema is known as the swelling caused by excess fluid trapped in the tissues of a personâ€™s body.
There are various types of edema like peripheral edema, pedal edema, lymphedema, pulmonary edema, cerebral edema, and muscular edema. 
- Requires medical treatment
- Requires X-rays, lab testing, ultrasound, and image testing to diagnose it.
- Can happen to both men and women.
Bilateral edema happens when both your hands and legs get swollen. It happens when the small blood vessels in a personâ€™s body leak fluid into the nearby tissues. This extra fluid build-up causes the tissues to swell. It can happen almost anywhere in the body. It can be caused due to continuous sitting in one position, pregnancy, excessive intake of salt, etc.
- Increase in abdominal size.
- Puffiness or swelling of tissue, especially in legs or arms.
- Lose, shiny and stretched skin.
- Dimple (pits) on the skin after being pressed for couple of seconds.
Self-Care: There are various self-care techniques like movement, elevation, massage, compression, protection and reduce salt intake to improve the condition. However,one should consult their doctor before trying any of these.
Medications: The doctor would prescribe you with drugs to help your body expel excess fluid in the form of urine.
Specialists: You can consult a specialist at mfine who would help you treat this disease with a holistic treatment program.