Inflammation of the small intestine – Know all about the condition
Acute enteritis is the condition where the small intestine becomes irritated and swollen, sometimes accompanied by inflammation of the stomach and the large intestine.
Acute Enteritis is the most common problem in infants and children in poor countries.
- Treatable by a medical professional
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Diagnostic tests are often required
- Usually resolves within a few weeks
It is one of the most common conditions that affects most people. If the symptoms of acute enteritis do not clear up within a week, it is advised to seek medical care.
Ages affected: It can affect males and females in any age group.
The most common symptoms of acute enteritis are:
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Pain or discharge from the rectum
- Loss of appetite
These self-care measures can help prevent acute enteritis:
- Always wash your hands before the consumption of food and drinks
- Boil water before drinking it
- Use only clean utensils
- Cook the food thoroughly
The doctors may prescribe the following treatment for alleviating symptoms of acute enteritis:
- Anti-diarrheal medicines
- Rehydration with electrolyte solutions
- In case of severe diarrhea, intravenous fluids may be required
It is important to consult a gastroenterologist or a primary care physician in the case of acute enteritis for proper management of the condition.
We at mfine are here to provide you with an integrated treatment plan and get your health back on track.