Shortness Of Breath: What you Need to Know
Shortness of breath is a condition where a person finds it difficult to get air fully into their lungs.
Drinking coffee can relax airways and can help improve the functioning of the lungs. 
- Shortness of breath is easily detectable, but the causes can be identified only with tests recommended by doctors.
- Shortness of breath has to be reported early so that lung damage can be prevented.
- Besides physical examination, doctors use CT scans, blood tests and X-rays to diagnose underlying heart or lung problems.
- Smokers are among the most commonly affected by this condition.
The condition can cause great discomfort with a feeling of suffocation or tightness in the chest. Shortness of breath is an indication of underlying heart or lung problem.
Shortness of breath can have different symptoms for different causes.
- If caused by asthma, the symptoms are wheezing, chest tightness and coughing.
- If pneumonia, it is cough, chest pain, chills, fever, sweating, muscle pain and exhaustion.
- If Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ( COPD), it is wheezing, constant cough, low oxygen levels and chest tightness.
- If pulmonary embolism, it shows up as swelling in the leg, chest pain, cough, wheezing, sweating, abnormal heart rate, dizziness and a bluish tint to the skin.
- If it is pulmonary hypertension, it can be chest pain, trouble doing exercise and extreme tiredness
- If epiglottitis, it can be a sore throat, drooling, bluish skin, strange breathing sound, hoarseness and chills.
- If coronary artery disease, it can present itself as chest pain and heart attack.
Some common signs of shortness of breath are :
- Faster breathing rate
- Blue fingernails or lips
- Flaring nostrils
- Excessive sweating
- Pale or gray complexion
- Change in lifestyle
- Reduction in stress( meditation, counseling, exercise)
- supporting the back by standing against the wall: this relaxes the body and the airways
- Sleeping in a relaxed position
- Diaphragmatic breathing
- Administering antihistamine
- Providing Oxygen therapy
Specialists: For all the medical assistance our team at mfine is a call away towards healing. Call us to know the details involved during a treatment of a particular condition.