Location

Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To

Your First consultation is
Free!

118
General Physicians

68664
Cases done
by General Physicians

31
Hospitals

Other Peripheral Vertigo: Prevention And Treatment

About


Vertigo is referred to as a subjective sensation of spinning (dizziness). It can be classified as peripheral and also central. Other Peripheral Vertigo occurs when there is a problem in the vestibular labyrinth or semicircular canals of the inner ear.


Vertigo can affects people of any age group, especially adults (mostly women) and older people over the age of 50. Around 80% or all vertigo cases are that of peripheral while the rest 20% is central.


Causes of other peripheral vertigo are:
- BPPV
- Labyrinthitis
- Vestibular Neuronitis
- Injuries to head
- Some drugs
- Stress
- Alcohol.


Symptoms


Symptoms of other peripheral vertigo are:
- Dizziness
- Sudden/ frequent bouts of vertigo
- Ear ache
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of balance
- Hearing loss in one ear


Diagnostic tests include balance and hearing tests, blood tests, EEG, Dix-Hallpike maneuver (in case of BPPV) and imaging test like MRI.


Treatment


Treatment of other peripheral vertigo involves a combination of self-care, medication, physical therapy, and surgery.


Self-care can help people with other peripheral vertigo. It includes:
- Proper exercises like Brandt Daroff and Epley Maneuver after consulting a doctor (in case of BPPV).
- Avoiding bright lights.
- Avoiding rapid head movement and bending.
- Using hearing aids (in case of hearing loss).
- Lying down when vertigo occurs.

Medications prescribed by doctors for other peripheral vertigo are:
- Physical Therapy
- Antibiotics
- Benzodiazepines


Specialists
At MFine, we provide proper diagnosis, latest treatments, and expert care . We help you understand your health conditions and complications and providing a proper solution to them.

Other Specialities

Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App