Hemoglobin Abnormalities: Symptoms and Treatment
Variant forms of hemoglobin that are inherited, and may cause blood disorders.
When genetic changes in the globin genes cause mutations in the amino acids that make up the globin protein, which results in Hemoglobin alterations or abnormalities 
2. Treatment is helpful only in symptoms of a condition caused by abnormal variants
3. Lab tests and imaging are done
Hemoglobin abnormalities, also called Hemoglobinopathies arise in three cases - alteration in the structure of hemoglobin molecules decreased production of any one of two subunits of hemoglobin, or abnormal joining of the subunits. Examples are sickle cell disease, thalassemia and severe thalassemia respectively. These are frequent genetic disorders, and are often found in premarital screening.
1. Fatigue and weakness
2. Diminished energy levels
3. Jaundice-like symptoms
4. Pallor: pale skin
5. Severe pain, breathlessness, enlarged spleen, abdomen pain
6. Affected child growth
1. Avoid overexertion, dehydration, extreme temperatures, altitude changes, smoking, and stress.
2. Children with sickle cell disease should be regularly vaccinated.
Medications: Pain relievers may be taken for pain management, and antibiotics to prevent infections. Taking L-glutamine supplements reduces symptoms of sickle cell. They should be taken under a doctor’s prescription.
Specialists: Consult a doctor if the symptoms are evident and the condition worsens. At mfine, we provide accurate diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plans for all health concerns under a team of qualified doctors.