Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To

First Consultation starting
₹249 ₹499

General Physicians

Cases done
by General Physicians


Generalized Edema for Evaluation: Knowing the fact


Generalized edema indicates fluid accumulation which affects the complete body instead of any particular organ or body parts. Medical evaluation of generalized edema can be done by visiting a general physician or specialist.

There are some basic evaluations which are prescribed by a doctor to detect generalized edema [3]

Complete blood cell count
Serum chemistry panel test in addition to the study of total protein and albumin levels.
24-hour urine collection to check protein and creatinine clearance measure

Generalized edema is one of the key causes of heart failure when there is a rise in the hydrostatic pressure of the blood vessels. In some specific medical conditions like nephrotic syndrome and liver failure, there is a fall of oncotic pressure. Such underlying medical conditions can be one of the prime reasons behind generalized edema which affects several organs and peripheral tissues.


Symptoms include severe swelling of certain body parts or overall swelling of the body with pain, difficulty in walking and heaviness in the whole body or some particular part.

People may experience

Food allergy or allergic reaction on the tongue causing breathing problems
Problems in blood flow
Ulcer on the skin
Shortness of breath with low oxygen levels in the blood.


Self care: It is essential that an individual lowers the consumption of salt in order to maintain healthy water content. Try to move as often as possible. Try not to exert too much pressure on the affected areas.

If a blood clot develops in the leg, it can be treated with blood thinners. Once the clot breaks down the blood flow will be back to normal. A tumor which blocks the blood or lymph can sometimes be reduced surgically.

Specialist treatments:
Movement exercises: A professional physiotherapists at Mfine can help in various exercises of the affected regions, especially the legs which can pump back excess fluid towards the heart.

Controlled level of Salt intake: Consult your doctor to know the amount of salt you need to consume. Excess salt in the body can degrade the condition.
Surgery: If the clot cannot be removed with the help of medicine, the doctor may recommend surgery or even chemotherapy.
Download the mfine app today and consult a doctor in 60 seconds.

Other Specialities

Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App

582 matches found for: General Physicians near you

View More on App