Functional Bowel Problems - A Brief
Functional bowel disorder is a common disorder that affects the large intestine. It is usually causes belly discomfort, pain and trouble with bowel movements. It is also known as Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
IBS affects 16 to 30% of the population.
- Requires a medical diagnosis
- Lab tests or imaging is rarely required
- Treatment can help manage the condition but it is not curable
- Can last for years or a lifetime
Some causes of functional bowel problems include – muscle contractions in the intestine, inflammation in the intestines, severe infection, and abnormalities in the digestive nervous system.
This condition is most likely to affect people in their teens or those in their early forties.
The symptoms of functional bowel disorder include:
- Alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation
- Abdominal pain, cramping or bloating
- Excessive gas
- Mucus in the stool
- Harder or looser stools than normal
- Protruding belly
These home remedies can help alleviate functional bowel disorder:
- Healthy Diet and lifestyle changes
- Stress management
- Progressive relaxation exercises
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Adequate sleep
There are several treatment options for functional bowel disorder and they include:
- Fiber supplements
- Anti-diarrheal medications
- Anticholinergic medications
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- SSRI antidepressants
- Pain medications
Specialists: For managing chronic diseases like functional bowel disorder effectively, consulting a gastroenterologist is important to put a treatment plan into effect.
At mfine, you will get the right kind of care under the guidance of experts in the appropriate field.