Chronic Tonsillitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Diagnosis
Chronic Tonsillitis is a condition where the lymph nodes or tissues lump at the back of the throat.
Bacterial tonsillitis is common in children in the ages from 5 to 15.
- Caused by virus and bacteria
- Contagious disease and can spread from an infected person
- Easily treatable through medication/surgery
- Chronic in nature and can be control with treatment
Chronic Tonsillitis is a condition of inflammation of the tonsils resulting in swollen tonsils and a sore throat.
Ages affected – Chronic Tonsillitis can affect people from varying ages (3-40 years). However, it is more common in children between the ages of 3 and 7 years.
Self-diagnosis The common symptoms include red, swollen, painful and tender lymph nodes.
People may experience Areas of pain
- People typically experience pain in the head, ear, throat, and stomach (usually in younger children).
- Drooling- Due to painful swallowing
- Patches on tonsils- White or yellow patches
- Whole body- Fever, chills, malaise
- Sore Throat Stiff neck- Due to painful tonsils
- Bad Breath/ halitosis
- Also, Common- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing, adenoid problems, muffled and scratchy voice, loss of appetite
Self-Care: Having plenty of rest, avoiding contact with infected people, frequent hand washing after coughing and sneezing, avoiding smoking, using lozenges, vaporizer, humidifiers, gargling with salt water.
Medications: OTC drugs for relieving pain.
Specialists: Consult a specialist for treatment.
Log in to mfine and consult an otolaryngologist or an ENT doctor.
1st Consultation Free
Top Doctors in General Physician for Chronic Tonsillitis
Dr. Faiyaz Ali
MD - General Medicine, MRCP, MBBS
MD - General Medicine, MRCP, MBBSGeneral Physician
38+ years exp
Dr. Belliappa CMA
MD - Aerospace Medicine, DIH, Diploma in Hospital Administration
MD - Aerospace Medicine, DIH, Diploma in Hospital AdministrationGeneral Physician
27+ years exp
Dr. S. Ravindra Kumar
MD- General Medicine
MD- General MedicineGeneral Physician
26+ years exp
Dr. Sunil Keshu
MBBS, Post Graduate Diploma in Health Administration (PGDHA), HSE
MBBS, Post Graduate Diploma in Health Administration (PGDHA), HSEGeneral Physician
22+ years exp
Dr. Chhavi Goyal Mehra
MD- Internal Medicine, PGP- Diabetology
MD- Internal Medicine, PGP- DiabetologyGeneral Physician
21+ years exp
Dr. Niran Uthaiah
MBBS, Graduate Diploma in Family Medicine, Singapore, GDGM
MBBS, Graduate Diploma in Family Medicine, Singapore, GDGMGeneral Physician
19+ years exp
Other Medical Conditions