Chest wall pain: Be Prepared With Facts
Chest wall pain is the pain which generates from inflammation of a rib cage muscle connected to the sternum or breastbone. Chest wall protects lungs, ribs, and sternum which are surrounded by a structure. It is also known as costochondritis.
25 % reported cases of chest pain are actually only chest wall pain cases. 
- It is estimated that 6 million people are rushed to emergency ward every year for chest pain problems in United States alone.
- It is second most frequently reported case in the U.S.
- Most of the cases are suspected as coronary artery disease until proven otherwise.
People may experience various symptoms in the chest muscles
- Sensation of burning
- Increase in pain while moving the torso
- Increase in pain (breathing, cough, sneeze)
- Sharp pain which goes up and down till the neck and the back.
Before concluding on any treatment, doctors advice for some basic examinations like:
- Chest X-ray
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Nerve conduction velocity tests
- Sympathetic skin response
- Musculoskeletal problems- It is a basic type of pain and can be cured by heat, ice or anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), muscle relaxers, stretching or any physical therapy. For a severe pain doctor may advise corticosteroid injections to reduce the inflammation.
- Rheumatic condition- Doctors decide on the type of medication to be given according to the case. It is the overall management of each of these conditions.
- Lung infection- Like any other pneumonia problem, this lung condition can also be treated with antibiotics.
- Heart attack- If the pain is caused by heart attack, blood thinners or medicines that open the arteries will be given.
Specialists: For treatment of chest wall pain, our team at mfine is always keen to help. Contact us for any further details.