Body mass index less than 18: severe sign of malnourishment
Body mass index (also called BMI) is one of the measures of total body fat in humans. It is a number which can approximately assess the health condition of an individual depending on his/her body weight and height.
According to the WHO, children under five years suffering from this condition may have restricted growth and are vulnerable to risks of bad health status and cognitive incompetence as they grow.
Know Your BMI
Varying ranges of BMI may correspond to following health conditions:
- Under 18.5, considered underweight and malnourished
- 18.5 to 24.9, considered healthy
- 25.0 to 29.9, considered overweight
- Over 30, considered obese
Although with possible limitations, a BMI of less than 18.5 is considered underweight.
- From general statistics, India has more than one-third of malnourished children population
The cause is identified to be nutrition deficiency and lack of proper diet. Various ailments may also lead to a sudden loss of weight.
Self-diagnosable with frequent attacks of prolonged illnesses and damaged immune system.
May lead to:
- Improper absorption of essential nutrients
- Iron-deficiency anemia
- A situation in which a person is more prone to infections and lung diseases
- Abortion in pregnant ladies
Self-treatable: Can be treated through an intake of proper nutrients and vitamin-rich food along with supplements prescribed by a medical supervisor.
Medication: Depending on the severity of the condition, which includes unexplained weight loss and sudden loss of appetite, the nutritional professional or doctor prescribes the patient the required medications.
Specialists: Donâ€™t worry. With a range of specialists at mfine, we make sure you are in the right hands. Consulting a doctor is easier now. We are just a click away.
Find more about us at https://www.mfine.co/