Ichthyosis – A Brief Overview
Ichthyosis is a rare inherited skin condition in which the dead cells are accumulated as thick dry scales on the surface of the skin.
It is a rare disease. 1 in 300 people can be diagnosed with this condition.
· Treatment can alleviate symptoms but there is no cure
· Requires a medical diagnoses
· Diagnostic tests may be required
· Chronic condition: can last for years or even a lifetime
The condition is often mistaken for dry skin disorders. The condition is usually a genetic disorder.
It usually appears within 5 years of age.
The common symptoms of ichthyosis include:
· Thick and scaly skin on the exterior region of the limbs, elbows, and shins, face, forehead and scalp.
· Scales are colored white, dirty grey or brown colored scales
· Flaky scalp
· Deep painful cracks in the skin
To soothe the affected skin one can adopt the following self-care techniques:
· Wash your body with a mild soap
· Apply moisturizer liberally over the body
The goal of the treatment is to manage the symptoms of ichthyosis. The treatments may include:
· Exfoliating creams and ointments
· Oral medications
Referring to a certified dermatologist is the best way to get treatment for this condition. We at mfine provide the best treatment to you under the care of the best specialists.