Since the pollution levels are rising day by day, it is important that we be strong on the inside. Breathing in this atmosphere can lead to a host of allergies and respiratory ailments. Thus, it is important to guard our bodies and strengthen our immunity.
Here are foods that can help fight the ill-effects of pollution. Make sure to include optimum quantities of the below listed nutrients and foods in your daily diet.
- Make sure to include foods which are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene and riboflavin. Other nutrients like magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and selenium are also essential and need to be taken in optimal amounts through a balanced diet and/or supplements.
- Turmeric contains a powerful healing compound called curcumin. It has proven to be useful in the treatment of cough and asthma caused due to polluted air. ½ tsp turmeric powder mixed with ½ tsp of ghee will work wonders for these conditions.
- Cayenne or red pepper contains powerful antioxidant known as capsaicin which is great for lung health. Studies have suggested that it can protect against the damage caused due to the effects of pollution and cigarette smoke. Be sure to include cayenne and red pepper in this bad weather.
- Garlic has amazing antibacterial and antifungal properties due to its sulphur content. Garlic can also clear the free radicals in the body caused due to pollution which are responsible for damaging the cells and causing a host of illnesses.
- Eat more quercetin-containing foods. Quercetin has antioxidant properties and is also known to reduce inflammation and relieve allergy symptoms.
- Other spices such as cloves, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, celery, ginger, and tulsi (basil leaves) have also proven to be effective free radical destroyers.
- Increase your intake of coenzyme q10, glutamine, and taurine through supplements.
Note: Always consult a qualified dietitian before trying out any new food or diet.